Valorant is a popular team-based first-person shooter game that relies heavily on communication and teamwork.
Voice chat plays a vital role in coordinating strategies, calling out enemy positions, and enhancing overall gameplay experience.
However, it can be frustrating when your mic is not working in Valorant.
In this article, we will explore the possible causes of mic issues in Valorant and provide effective fixes to help you get your microphone working again.
Causes of Mic Not Working in Valorant
Valorant may not have the necessary permissions to access your microphone. This could be due to privacy settings on your device or within the game itself.
Default Microphone Selection
If your microphone is not set as the default recording device on your computer, Valorant may not recognize it.
Faulty Audio Settings
Incorrect audio settings within the Valorant client or the operating system can cause microphone problems.
Outdated or incompatible audio drivers can prevent your microphone from functioning properly in Valorant.
Fixes for Mic Not Working in Valorant
Check Microphone Permissions
To check microphone permissions in Valorant, follow these detailed steps:
- Click on the Start menu and select “Settings” (the gear icon).
- In the Settings window, click on “Privacy.”
- In the left sidebar, click on “Microphone.”
- Under the “Microphone access for this device” section, ensure that the toggle switch is turned on. This allows apps to access your microphone.
- Scroll down and make sure that the toggle switch for “Allow apps to access your microphone” is also turned on.
- Additionally, scroll through the list of apps under “Choose which apps can access your microphone” and make sure Valorant is listed and its toggle switch is turned on. If it’s not listed, ensure that you have launched Valorant at least once, as it should appear in the list after doing so.
- Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen and select “System Preferences.”
- In the System Preferences window, click on “Security & Privacy.”
- Click on the “Privacy” tab.
- On the left sidebar, click on “Microphone.”
- In the Microphone settings, make sure that the checkbox next to Valorant is checked. If it’s not listed, ensure that you have launched Valorant at least once, as it should appear in the list after doing so.
- If the microphone is unchecked, click on the lock icon at the bottom-left corner of the window and enter your administrator password to make changes. Then, check the box next to Valorant to allow microphone access.
By ensuring that Valorant has the necessary permissions to access your microphone, you can eliminate any potential permission-related issues that may be causing the mic to not work in Valorant.
Set Microphone as Default Device
To set your microphone as the default device, follow these detailed steps:
- Right-click on the speaker icon located in the taskbar at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- From the context menu, select “Sounds” to open the Sound settings window.
- In the Sound window, go to the “Recording” tab.
- You’ll see a list of available recording devices. Right-click on the microphone you want to set as the default device and choose “Set as Default Device” from the context menu. Note that the default microphone will have a green checkmark next to it.
- If you have multiple microphones listed, you can also choose “Set as Default Communication Device” to prioritize it for communication applications.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save the changes.
- Click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen and select “System Preferences.”
- In the System Preferences window, click on “Sound.”
- Go to the “Input” tab.
- From the list of input devices, select the microphone you want to set as the default device.
- Make sure the input volume is adjusted appropriately by checking the input level bar and adjusting the slider if needed.
- Close the Sound preferences window.
By setting your microphone as the default device, you ensure that Valorant recognizes it as the primary input source for voice communication.
This step ensures that Valorant utilizes the correct microphone for in-game voice chat, thereby resolving any issues related to microphone selection.
Adjust Valorant Audio Settings
To adjust the audio settings within Valorant, follow these detailed steps:
- Launch Valorant and log in to your account.
- Once you’re in the main menu, click on the gear icon located in the top-right corner. This will open the Settings menu.
- In the Settings menu, click on the “Audio” tab. This tab contains all the audio-related settings for Valorant.
- Look for the “Input” section. Here, you will find the settings related to your microphone.
- First, ensure that the “Voice Chat” option is toggled on. This enables voice chat in Valorant.
- Next, locate the “Input Device” dropdown menu. Click on it to see the list of available input devices.
- Select the microphone you want to use for voice chat from the dropdown menu. Make sure to choose the correct device if you have multiple microphones connected to your computer.
- Adjust the “Input Volume” slider to set the desired input volume level for your microphone. You can test the input volume by speaking into your microphone and checking the input level meter next to the slider. Adjust it accordingly to ensure your voice is clear and audible.
- You can also adjust the “Voice Chat Volume” slider to control the volume level of other players’ voices in the game. Find a comfortable balance between the game’s audio and voice chat.
- Once you have made the necessary adjustments, click on the “Apply” or “Save” button to save the changes.
- Exit the Settings menu and start a match or join a voice chat-enabled lobby to test if your microphone is working properly in Valorant.
By adjusting the audio settings within Valorant, specifically the input device and input volume, you can ensure that the game recognizes and utilizes your chosen microphone for voice chat.
This step allows you to customize the audio settings to your preference, providing clear and effective communication with your teammates during gameplay.
Update Audio Drivers
To update your audio drivers, follow these detailed steps:
Identify Your Audio Device
Determine the specific audio device or sound card installed on your computer. This information helps in finding the correct driver updates. You can typically find this information in the device manager or by checking the manufacturer’s documentation.
Visit The Manufacturer’s Website
Go to the website of the audio device manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer if the audio is integrated. Look for the support or downloads section of the website.
Locate The Driver Downloads
Search for the latest audio driver available for your specific model. Manufacturers often provide a dedicated section where you can download drivers for their products. Look for the appropriate driver that corresponds to your operating system and audio device.
Download The Driver
Once you find the correct driver for your audio device, click on the download link or button. Save the driver installation file to a location on your computer where you can easily find it, such as the Downloads folder.
Install The Driver
Locate the downloaded driver file and double-click on it to initiate the installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions provided by the driver installer. Typically, you will need to agree to the terms and conditions and choose the installation location.
Restart Your Computer
After the driver installation completes, it is recommended to restart your computer. This ensures that the changes take effect and the updated driver is fully integrated into the system.
Test Your Microphone In Valorant
Launch Valorant and join a voice chat-enabled lobby or match to test if your microphone is now working properly. Adjust the audio settings within Valorant if necessary to ensure optimal microphone functionality.
Updating audio drivers resolves compatibility issues, ensures proper recognition and utilization of audio devices in Valorant, improves audio performance, and fixes bugs or glitches. Keeping drivers up to date is essential for a smooth microphone and audio experience in the game.
How Do I Fix My Mic Not Working In Valorant?
Refer to the fixes mentioned above, including checking microphone permissions, setting the microphone as the default device, adjusting Valorant audio settings, and updating audio drivers.
How Do I Turn On Voice Chat On Valorant?
Voice chat is enabled by default in Valorant. However, if it’s not working, ensure that your microphone is properly connected, and check the audio settings in Valorant to ensure it’s enabled.
Why Can’t I Open The Mic In Valorant?
If you’re unable to open the mic in Valorant, first check if your microphone is working in other applications. If it’s functional elsewhere, try the fixes mentioned in this article. If the issue persists, it may be related to Valorant’s server or a bug within the game itself.
How Do I Fix Voice Chat On Valorant?
To fix voice chat in Valorant, start by confirming that your microphone is working correctly. Then, check the audio settings in Valorant to ensure the correct microphone is selected. If the issue persists, try restarting the game or your computer, and consider updating your audio drivers.
In conclusion, a malfunctioning microphone can be frustrating while playing Valorant, hindering effective communication and teamwork.
However, by following the troubleshooting steps provided in this article, such as checking permissions, setting the microphone as the default device, adjusting audio settings, and updating drivers, you can resolve most microphone issues.
Clear and uninterrupted voice chat is essential for enhancing your gaming experience and coordinating strategies with your team. If the problem persists, contacting Riot Games’ support team for further assistance is recommended.
Stay updated and enjoy the immersive world of Valorant with a functioning microphone.
Good luck and have fun on the battlefield!